The History Boys By Alan Bennett
Directed by Sarah Niedoba and Megan Ready-Walters
Performance dates: October 24th-October 26th
“The History Boys” tells the story of eight sixth-form boys living in Sheffield, England, all preparing to write entrance exams for Cambridge and Oxford. Their fool of a Headmaster brings in a young, bright temporary teacher to try and teach them the “tricks” needed to get into such schools, while their older eccentric teacher Hector spends his time trying to impress upon them the importance of knowledge for the sake of knowledge. The play is a clever, witty look at friendship, religion, sex and the purpose of education in our lives.
Auditions will be held from 7-10pm on Thursday September 12th and Friday September 13th, and 11am-3pm on Saturday the 14th. Callbacks will be held on Sunday the 15th from 3-6pm.
The play features predominantly male roles; however, gender-blind casting will be considered, and everyone should feel welcome to audition.
The character list is as follows:
- Hector (M) – Older eccentric teacher, aged 30-60
- Irwin (M) – Young new school master brought in to give the boys “polish”, aged 20-35
- Headmaster (M) – Foolish older man who can think only of improving his schools statistics, aged 30-60
- Mrs.Lintott (F) – Older female teacher, extremely bright and constantly aggravated by the ineptitude in which she works, aged 25-50
- Dakin (M) – Most charismatic and confident of the boys, arguably their leader, aged 18-29
- Scripps (M) – Best friend to Dakin, thoughtful and funny, wanting to become some kind of writer, often plays the piano on stage, aged 18-29
- Posner (M) – The youngest and most niave of the group, often thought of as the boys pet, in love with Dakin, aged 18-29
- Timms (M) – The jokester of the group, only putting up with school because he wants to be successful, aged 18-29
- Rudge (M) – Considered not to be very bright, and not to have much chance of getting into Oxford/Cambridge, interested in sports
- Akthar (M) – A bit of a jokester, from a Muslim family which he constantly refers to, aged 18-29
- Lockwood (M) – Wants to be a magistrate, constantly teases the teachers and Posner, aged 18-29
- Crowther (M) – Wants to go into acting, the quietest of the boys, aged 18-29
- Thursday, September 12th 7-10pm
- Friday September 13th 7-10 pm
- Saturday September 14th 11-3pm
You may present a 2-minute contemporary monologue, and/or read from the play. Copies of sides will be provided at the audition, so come early to prepare.
TO BOOK AN AUDITION TIME
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Auditions will be held at the Victoria College Campus, 89 Charles Street West – further location will be emailed to you once you contact to book an audition time.