The Canadian Opera Company education and outreach team is looking for a knowledgeable and dynamic Program Assistant (volunteer) to help organize and provide support for the Youth Opera Lab program.
Youth Opera Lab is a free program for teens and young adults between the ages of 16 and 21
who have an interest in opera. Youth Opera Labs will take place three times during the 2013/2014 season: September 21, 2013; January 25, 2014;and March 29, 2014. Each lab includes a workshop with an opera professional; a Q&A with a member of the production team; an exclusive glimpse of the first rehearsal of cast, crew and orchestra; and, a pair of free dress rehearsal tickets.
This is a volunteer position. The assistant is expected to contribute approximately six to eight hours per week on a flexible schedule, with increased hours leading up to the date of each Youth Opera Lab, and a lighter workload for the weeks immediately after each Youth Opera Lab.
- Assisting with planning and administrative tasks related to the Youth Opera Labs, including processing registrations, contributing to marketing initiatives, and analyzing and synthesizing feedback
- Liaising with COC staff and artist educators
- Communicating with participants and acting as point person for the COC
- At each Youth Opera Lab, giving introductions and facilitating Q&A sessions
- An interest and/or formal education in arts administration and/or cultural management, music, education or a combination
- Strong organizational, planning and leadership skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and comfort with public speaking
- Experience with the age group (16 to 21) is an asset
- Holds, or can acquire, a valid Vulnerable Sector Verification through the Police Reference Check program
- First Aid and CPR certificate an asset
- Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop an asset
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 416-363-5584. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Education and Outreach
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E., Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
For more information about Youth Opera Lab and all of the COC’s education and outreach initiatives, please visit our website at coc.ca/Explore, or contact email@example.com
About the COC
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006, and is also the performance venue for The National Ballet of Canada. For more information on the COC, visit its award-winning website, coc.ca.